The Bowling Green next to St George's Square
Updated: Jul 6
It takes some believing but there was once a bowling green right in the Town Centre. It was in the middle of what was to become John William Street near to St George's Square.
It first appeared on town maps in 1851 with the belief that it was first opened in the late 1840s but by the time of the town maps of 1890 being pulled together the green had disappeared altogether and John William Street had been opened up in its place. The two maps below show the siting of this green.